Honey Medicinal Benefits | Health Benefits Of Raw Honey
Honey bees are known for their organizational skill and hard work. They help us pollinate most of our crops and help us converts nectar into honey. This is the reason why honey bees are essential to human and the Eco-system. On this post; Natural Remedy Lab looks examine various honey medicinal benefits and application in Nigeria.
Honey is a nutritional and medicinal staple made by bees and some insects using nectar from flowers. It is a perfect replacement for sugar because of its unique sweetness with benefits and no side effect.
Honey is rich in vital nutrients our body need, it is also durable; it can last for several years without losing its quality.
How To Use Honey: Bee Products Mostly Used
- Bee wax
- Honey comb
- Bee Pollen
- Royal Jelly
- Bee Venom
Honey Nutritional Benefits: Pure Honey Nutrition Facts
- Dietary fiber
- Pantothenic acid
- Vitamin B6, B9 & C
Wild Honey Benefits: Major Functions
- Energy Booster
- Immune booster
How To Know Original Honey In Nigeria
Most people get pissed off when buying honey because it is a little bit challenging getting the raw or original honey which is the healthiest. Most honey out there is adulterated and dangerous to health even the well packaged honey on supermarket shelves are not what you see on their labels.
Here are few tricks you can use to identify if a honey is original or not in Nigeria
• Buy From Trusted Dealers: It might take time before you get a reliable supplier of original honey here in Nigeria but it is worth it in the end. There will also be series of trial and errors but never give up till you get what you want.
• Try A Texture Test: You can identify an adulterated or original honey by the thickness and stickiness. Organic honey also known as raw honey when put inside a container or jar does not move easily. It takes time before it moves from one side of the container to the other. In addition, when you touch it with bare hand, original honey does not drop or spread around with ease.
• Try A water Test: You can add few drops of honey inside water and see if it settles at the bottom or not. If it does, then it is original. Adulterated honey dissolves easily in water.
• Try A Flame Test: When you dip a match stick in original honey and light with the match box, it will bring on fire but an adulterated honey will not bring this effect due to high moisture and if it does, it might take some time.
• Try A bread Test: Take a slice of bread and apply honey by spreading it over like butter, if the bread hardens in few minutes, then the honey is original but if the bread becomes wet due to moisture, you should know that the honey isn’t original.
• Try A Taste Test: Original honey usually taste better and has low moisture
• Try Physical Observation: raw honey usually have traces of impurities, some particles from pollen and parts of the bee you can easily notice in the mixture.
• Honey Trust Test: Avoid buying honey that you don’t know the source, most branded or even imported honey may not be 100% organic
What Makes Honey Adulterated?
Pure, organic, natural and raw honey all means nothing has been added to the honey. It is 100% natural but when honey is processed or mixed with foreign substances for whatever reason, such honey is no longer pure but regarded as contaminated, adulterated or artificial honey. Common substances often added to honey include corn syrup, sugar syrup, natural and artificial flavors to mention a few.
Honey Producing States In Nigeria
Do you even know that honey is widely produced in Nigeria? For your information, a lot of states are into massive production of honey, so you should always opt for the locally produced honey compare to the foreign ones, we need to promote our own. The highest honey producing states in Nigeria are Kaduna, Nassarawa, Adamawa, Kogi, Fct among others
Honey Medicinal Benefits: Medicinal Value Of Honey
Honey As Immune booster
Raw honey is rich in disease fighting antioxidants which makes it ideal agent to fight free radicals away from the body. Regular intake of honey will help your immune system tap into the rich and invigorating honey medicinal benefits.
Honey And Diabetes Cure
Honey is not only a perfect replacement for sugar; it also helps in reversing the damage done by high blood glucose in the body. Combination of honey with cinnamon if taken regularly will significantly reduce your blood sugar.
Honey As Energy Booster
Honey is an energy booster. Eating raw honey will give you the strength and energy your body need for the day. It is rich in nutrients you can’t get elsewhere. A tablespoon of honey gives you approximately 64 calories. It is the ideal source of natural energy to keep your day smooth.
Honey For Cough
Honey works pretty well in treating cough. This is more reason why most cough syrup for children always has honey as part of the recipe.
Honey For Wounds & Burns
Honey facilitates the healing process of wounds and burns. Application on the affected parts and regular intake will increase your chance or rate of healing process.
Honey For HIV
One of the alternative honey medicinal benefits is a bee sting therapy otherwise known as Apitherapy used in some parts of the world as treatment procedure for HIV patients. There is no scientific proof for effectiveness of this though, but it is believed to destroy HIV, fight inflammation, treats symptoms of Lyme disease, relieves multiple sclerosis & heal arthritis.
Further Reading: Learn How To Hack Your Immune System With Apitherapy
Honey For Weight Loss
Honey does not contain unhealthy fats or cholesterol, it is ideal for weight management.
Honey For Children’s Memory
Honey is good for you if you admire retentive memory. It helps the brain cells to be healthy. Give an egg with honey to children daily and you will be amazed by their academic performance.
Honey Comb Benefits
The honey comb helps in treating diabetes, protect the liver & reduces cholesterol level in the body.
Bee Wax Benefits
Bee wax is used for beauty products like soaps, baby products, lip balm, moisturizers and deodorants.
Other honey medicinal benefits include its wide usage in treatment and prevention of the following:
- Gum disease
- Yeast infection
- Dry skin
- Aging skin
How To Use Honey: Different Application Of Raw Honey
To maximize the various honey medicinal benefits; here are various usage methods:
- Honey is edible and can be taken orally
- Honey can be used as sweetener
- Honey can be mixed with other herbs, fruits, juice or beverages.
- Other honey products like bee wax, pollen & comb can also be used for various health benefits.
How To Use Honey: What To Avoid
- Don’t give raw honey to infants
- Avoid heating of honey
- Pregnant women should seek doctor’s advice before taking honey.
- Don’t take above 10 teaspoon daily.
If you like this post on Honey Medicinal Benefits: kindly share with the share button below
The information on this post is meant for information purpose only. It is never an alternative to doctor’s advice. Seek your doctor’s consent before using any herb. Visit our DISCLAIMER PAGE for more.