Fact about Diabetes in Nigeria: Just as Natural Remedy Lab do tell us, most of the diseases and infections out there are preventable, it is quite unfortunate that many people are still at the mercy of this killer diseases.
Diabetes is another killer disease that can be prevented with adequate information about the causes, effects and preventive measures that are effective and reliable.
If you are diabetic or have anyone close to you, this post will be beneficial to a large extent, such that you will no longer be ignorant what diabetes is all about and the reasons for the hype.
What is Diabetes Mellitus?
The term diabetes mellitus generally known as diabetes is a medical condition where the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or utilize the insulin it produces effectively.
The pancreas is responsible for producing the hormone called insulin which allows glucose and other essential nutrients from the food we eat get into the body cells where they are been converted into energy. This energy is vital for our muscles and tissues to perform optimally.
Types of Diabetes
There are two major types of diabetes; type 1 diabetes mostly found in children and young adults; and type 2 diabetes which happen to be the most common type of diabetes affecting mostly adults though, it can affect those who are younger too.
Other types of diabetes include gestational diabetes which affects women during pregnancy and secondary diabetes which occurs as a result of complications from other infections, hormonal disorder, medication or genetic conditions.
Causes of Diabetes
According to Natural Remedy Lab’s fact about diabetes in Nigeria, the reason why someone has diabetes depends on which type you are putting into consideration. For instance;
Type 1 Diabetes
- When the immune system destroys the cells in the pancreas, it results in depriving the body the required insulin, definitely it will result into diabetes.
- Genetic disorder is another factor responsible for type 1 diabetes
- Exposure of the body to chemical toxins especially in food
- It can also be as result of viral or bacterial infection
Type 2 Diabetes
- If any of your close relative once had diabetes in the past, then you are likely to have it as well in the future.
- Diabetes can also be developed as a result of age factor. As you get older, the risk becomes higher.
- Consumption of unhealthy diets is also a leading cause of type 2 diabetes. Food rich in sugar, high calories, portion size, processed foods, sweeteners, sodas to mention a few are dangerous to your health.
- Those who are obese or overweight are more likely to have diabetes.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol as well as smoking is risk factors to consider.
Gestational diabetes can occur in pregnant women due to previous occurrence in the family history. Another risk factor is being overweight or obese
Symptoms of Diabetes
Likely signs and symptoms of diabetes to look out for in a diabetic patient include:
- Frequent urination beyond normal mostly at night
- The body may get dehydrated; this will make the person consume more water as a result of excessive thirst.
- In a serious case, it will be very difficult for wounds to get healed. In some patients, this had lead to amputation.
- Not everyone will like the fact that being diabetic also causes sexual dysfunction.
- Tiredness and increased hunger.
- Blurred vision
- Diabetes also makes the feet or hands to become insensitive.
How to Prevent Diabetes
Another fact about diabetes Nigeria is that prevention is not only better than cure, it is cheaper and safer. Diabetes can be prevented by doing the following:
- Eating healthy diets will go a long way in helping you reduce the chance of getting diabetes. Eat less of processed carbohydrates, sugary food, sweeteners, sodas, foods that increase blood lipids and other junk foods.
- Reduce your portion size, eat more of fibers, fresh vegetables, whole grains, fresh fruits and spices.
- Maintain healthy body weight and be physically active by doing moderate regular exercise.
- You should also form the habit of regularly going for medical checkup and get your blood sugar monitored.
- Stay way from smoking and control your alcohol consumption as well.
Diagnosis of Diabetes
It is a common practice and known fact about diabetes in Nigeria that you need to carry out blood test to determine whether someone has diabetes or not. The test is done by measuring the blood sugar or glucose level. This test need can be done repeatedly to get perfect result.
Treatment of Diabetes
Medically there are no cure at present for diabetes though it can be managed effectively by controlling the blood sugar level to avoid complications which can be life threatening. However, there are claims that the use of alternative medicine can effectively treat and cure diabetes.
Those with type 1 diabetes are usually given insulin in managing the condition. Type 2 patients on the other hand may have to change their unhealthy lifestyle to get flawless result or take insulin depending on the level of their blood sugar
If you like this post: fact about diabetes in Nigeria, Kindly share with the share button.